DeveloperSide.NET Forums
March 18, 2019, 05:46:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: compile in visual2005?  (Read 13000 times)
DeliriumServers
Customer, Basic Support

delirium.martin@gmail.com a5m0deu5
View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2006, 02:43:22 PM »

I really love your new package with all of the updates, but I'm wondering when it will be compiled in visual2005.  I'd like to use this distribution in a small hosting business (with a few modifications), but I've been told that a compile in visual2005 provides significant performance and memory management increases.  Here is a quote I pulled from apachelounge.com which provides the updated binaries and such in visual2005, just not as a complete package like you do.  

"It is built with the latest Windows® Platform SDK and Visual Studio C++ 2005, which has improvements in Performance, MemoryManagement etc. The binary from ASF is built with an older compiler. The optimizer improves the performance quite significantly."

es, i'm crazy
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »

Sure, you could just throw the code under VS.NET and hit build, but...

There is a reason why Apache.org official binaries are compiled under VC 6.0.

There is a reason why MySQL.com official binaries are compiled under VC 6.0.

There is a reason why PHP.net official binaries are compiled under VC 6.0.

There is a reason why no hosting provider, that I know of or would use, would even consider using a VS.NET build of Apache or any other component.

There is even a reason why major hosting providers still only use Apache v1.3.

Those reasons are stability (in every respect of the word), known and tested codebase and binaries, not mixing runtimes, using the same runtimes as other components, not mixing unmanaged code with .net libs, and so on...

As far as the performance fantasy, I have not seen anyone post any data to back those claims up -- and it should be good real world data with reasoning and methodology posted. Personally, taking a wild guess here, I would say minimal performance gains, or in very limited situations can be had.

Not to mention that the entire codebase of each project would have to be rewritten to take advantage, in a more than superficial way, of anything under .NET -- and then tested and fixed for the next 3 years, and then being at Microsoft's mercy as they break everything Apache releated to 'enhance' IIS, with each new release of .NET, etc...

This issue has actually been in the back of my mind, as I really do feel that the truth is being completely overlooked when these other distributions post something like "we build with VS.NET -- huge, huge performance gains... Incredible results!!!"

BTW, I build with the Feb 2003 PSDK (the last 'official' VC6.0 PSDK). 'official' is the key word under the DeveloperSide.NET Web-Server Suite distribution, as it is synonymous with 'production readiness' and 'stability'.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:17:46 PM »

IIRC thre was talk about switching to a 2005 c++ compiler for the windows binaries... but it got torened down or atleast pushed back because most modules, 3rd party binaries... are compiled with that. Only mod_aspdotnet isn't... simply because it can't be.

I complie my binaries with vs.net 2005 for 2 reasons...
VC++ 6 doesn't like XP Pro x64 that mutch 2005 does... but most stuff is broke e.g: mysql doesn't want to compile, perl doesn't want to compile, php doesn't want to compile...

So basicly you are stuck to VC++ 6 for compatibility and because the source isn't ready.

DeliriumServers
Customer, Basic Support

delirium.martin@gmail.com a5m0deu5
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:05:52 PM »

wow, this is one of the reasons I love this forum!  I really appreciate long responses that really explain things rather than a simple "you're retarded flame flame" I really appreciate it admin, you too Jorge, your sites rock!

I think I'll just throw in hardened php and make a few adjustments and everything will be happy! :lol:

es, i'm crazy
rp_024
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 10:46:12 PM »

Maybe a default "free" flavor in the native structure all who have visited here are accustomed to.

Then maybe make some other builds in other languages for sale at a low cost, like your new menu of available offers you have?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: