DeveloperSide.NET Forums
July 13, 2020, 04:29:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The new DeveloperSide.NET site is up, new changes...  (Read 10621 times)
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 10, 2006, 02:05:11 PM »

I've put the redesigned site on the server yesterday. What a headache that was. The site was offline for an hour between 6-7pm (EST), while I searched for the problem. Looked everywhere. It was working fine on my local system, but on the server something seemed just off. The rewrite rules were working but the site returned 'permissions denied'. Turned out to be a directory read permissions problem under the file system (not httpd.conf). I was looking in all the wrong places.

All links/URLs have been changed -- mod_rewrite rules are taking care of the old URLs (hopefully -- still checking the logs). Since IE is known for its brain damage, a few reloads might be required.

There is still some work to do, but for the most part, the base of the site is solid. I'm going for a clean, and minimalistic design.

'DeveloperSide.NET' is now '_Developer[Side].NET' (though in text form it does not do it justice -- so its still 'DeveloperSide.NET')...

'DeveloperSide.NET Web-Server Suite' is now '_Web[Developer] Server Suite' -- in text form I'm leaving it as 'Web-Developer...'

I would change that to '_Web[Developer].NET', but that looks just like a domain name [which I do not own].

The link to the blog is up in the menu.

If anyone notices anything or has suggestions, feel free to post in this thread.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 02:38:35 PM »

I really like the colors on the 2nd one

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »

I've updated the banner...

Better or worse?

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
aussieboykie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 12:18:32 AM »

Quote from: "admin"

Better or worse?

Much better. Congratulations on the whole site. Nice layout, easy to navigate.

Regards, AB
DeliriumServers
Customer, Basic Support

delirium.martin@gmail.com a5m0deu5
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 02:32:44 AM »

the single best thing I can note.....

is that the forums link opens in the same window

thank you, I wanted this!

es, i'm crazy
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 02:41:25 PM »

Quote from: "admin"

Better or worse?

Cool!

DeliriumServers
Customer, Basic Support

delirium.martin@gmail.com a5m0deu5
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:50:05 PM »

there was a blip of downtime today, but is it just me or did the site get faster after that outage/modification?

es, i'm crazy
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 10:59:53 PM »

I'm not sure how long it was unreachable, but I did notice it -- for about 30 minutes. Though it was the hosting provider that went offline, not devside.net.

[root@www linux]# w
 18:00:20  up 221 days ...

And thats only because of kernel updates... Should be over a year and half solid -- for the server, not the site.

And the site should be a little faster after another up2date and reboot. Whenever I get that done...

DeveloperSide.NET
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:06:11 PM »

If the load is any faster, its probably related to the hosting provider rebooting/replacing a router and clearing the tables on it.

DeveloperSide.NET
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:09:42 PM »

Looks like this was the problem...

Network Outage

Network Status: DC1 & DC2-phase2

At approx. 16:40hrs US CDT September 11th, we experienced an outage at Datacenter 1. This issue also affected inbound traffic directed to DC2 phase 2, via the DC1 backbones. This issue has been corrected.

The source of this issue was a misconfiguration of the Fireslayer Dos Mitigation system. After reviewing logs we have discovered that an important safety measure was mistakenly removed from the sytem several days ago. Upon removal of fireslayer from a targeted IP this afternoon, an flawed firewall change was written to the edge routers. This change resulted in all inbound traffic at the DC1 edge to be blocked.

We aplogize to those customers who were affected by this issue. We will be reviewing this issue with the personnel involved. In additon we will be examining and implementing additonal safegaurds to the fireslayer system to prevent this type of issue from occuring in the future.

DeveloperSide.NET
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: