DeveloperSide.NET Forums
January 19, 2020, 09:29:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CGI Downloading  (Read 30991 times)
johnq
« on: December 09, 2003, 03:39:23 AM »

Hi. Just installed full version w/SSL and all seems OK except the test CGI perl script printenv.pl tries to download when I access it in my browser. The correct location to Perl is in my NT path. Any ideas?
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 06:11:40 AM »

download what?!

You type http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
johnq
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 06:15:42 PM »

Sorry if I didn't make myself very clear. Yes, I know you access it using http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
I no server know-it-all by any means, but I have had several servers up and running now for years. Actually, this is my second installation using the full SSL devside package this week. The first install does not have this problem and displays the proper info in the browser when this script is called. However, this second install, which as far as I can tell is identical to the first, wants to download printenv.pl whenever it is called in the browser. I know it's weird, but I've never experienced it before and that's why I posted in case someone else has. Everything else works fine with the exception of .asp which doesn't work on either, but I don't use asp so it's of no real concern to me. But cgi I do use and am trying to figure this out.
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 08:04:08 PM »

make sure that
Code:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

is in the config file.

Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 09:02:43 PM »

I'm sure its also tied to your asp problems.

Did you change anything in httpd.conf or install anything else, in addition to the package?

View \www\Apache2\logs\error.log
What does it say?

Have you created a top dir \tmp ?
johnq
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 09:40:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply. This is the modified config that devside has included with the pre-built versions and there are no addhandler's anywhere in the config. The thing is I know the config is good - I burned the entire installation to CD and had installed this exactly the same on another pc and everything is fine.
Now I just figured I'd take a shortcut in the troubleshooting and I just now copied the entire installation from the machine that works good to this one, including all .ini's and the .dll. The entire install. Checked NT path statements once again - both are absolutely identical. Rebooted, still tries to download printenv.pl. I am really puzzled. I know it's in my machine, not the script work, but I just can't find it.

The thing is all works fine when using the IP
http://216.47.209.249/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
just not when using localhost...
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 09:48:25 PM »

On that second system, where localhost does not work...

edit the file C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
add the line...
127.0.0.1       localhost

Reboot.

This will cause "localhost" to resolve to the local system.

Even without this, 127.0.0.1 would probably work just fine with that cgi script.
johnq
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 09:56:12 PM »

No, installed nothing additional. Yes, I have created the c:\temp directory.
Error log shows no error, access log shows the page was served.

The only difference between the two machines is the first was a fresh installation of WIN2000 SP4, where this one had BigApache installed on it b4, which I uninstalled all the services then used BigApache's uninstaller to remove it from the machine before installing the devside one. I'm pretty sure this accounts for the problem, I just don't know what's been left behind that's screwing things up, since my.ini, php.ini and http.conf have all been replaced with the new versions.
johnq
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 10:02:39 PM »

127.0.0.1 localhost already there.
http:  127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/printenv.pl does not work either...

I'm pretty close to popping in a new HD and just installing OS and everything else fresh. I just hate to do all of that work for what is probably something stupid that I'm overlooking.
Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 10:03:19 PM »

ASP needs /tmp not /temp
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 10:08:40 PM »

If 127.0.0.1 wont work, but the IP does, something is wrong.

I do not know about the BigApache pkg, but with devside, you just remove two services, clean the PATH, and delete the www structure.  Everything is contained, and nothing is modified outside.

I'm not sure what you mean about a new HD, a format would work just as well.

Could it be the permissions under IE?

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
johnq
asp
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 10:09:50 PM »

Well, that fixed the asp problem!
johnq
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003, 10:14:52 PM »

New hd because this one is full of stuff I'll need to keep - I'll just pop it in as a slave and put all of this on a new master.

Anyway, looks like that's the way I'm going. Thanks for the help. I realize what you are saying and that everything is self-contained, actually I have tried four other 'packages' in the last year and this is by far the best I have seen as far as ease of installation and pre-configuration. Kudos to the devside people.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2003, 10:20:47 PM »

open up the command prompt, cmd.exe, and type 'netstat -an'

This will show you if anything is listening on 127.0.0.1, port 80, ...

Also, Anti-virus and firewall software has been know to cause problems.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
johnq
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2003, 10:30:28 PM »

does not show that I'm listening on 127.0.0.1:80
If I open a file it will show the established connection, but other than that it does not show that it's listening. I thought this was controlled by NT's hosts driver, but that's already been checked and 127.0.0.1  localhost is there.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: