DeveloperSide.NET Forums
November 18, 2018, 04:31:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Apache used to work, now it doesn't  (Read 38417 times)
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2006, 02:19:55 PM »

Small and condensed in a nutshell overview:

About a year ago, I was referred to devside to use the all in onedle apache, mysql etc. When I went there, I was reading on the requirements in order to use it. It said to dl and load java_EE_SDK. So I did, but when I finished I found I could use that as my server software. I hosted my site on my dsl connection on port 8080 utilizing DNS nameservers from zoneedit and directupdate to synch my dynamic static.

Everything worked great, but I wanted to add a forum and chat to my site and had a really hard time installing PHP, so I looked around and came back to 'Web-Developer' Server Suite. I dlíd and installed I got it up and running. I got my php forum and flash chat up and running too. I got greedy and decided to move from my P4 1.8 ghz and put this on my AMD Athlon 3800 x64 box. After I reformatted the box and got everything set up, I found nothing worked. I tried everything, but I couldnít get my conf file set up properly.

Now everything is completely hosed. I have no idea how I got it to work in the first place. Iíve been going in circles spinning my wheels trying to reconfig zoneedit, zone alarm, direct update, my httpd.conf file, everything. Itís now keeping me up all night just trying to get it right.

I want to start from scratch, is there a step by step graphical instruction for a complete  moron like myself? Iíd really like to get my site back up before Christmas, as it is a family site and is all pictures of my kids for my distant relatives to see.

Thanks to all in advance.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:36:16 PM »

Are you saying that the base/vanilla Web-Developer install does not work, or just your modifications and addons? Did you move or install? Always install.

Have you checked the controller, are the services running?

If you already had an Apache or MySQL Service installed, or anything listening on port 80, etc..., our Services would not have been installed and/or would not be able to start.

Check http://localhost/webdeveloper/ [\www\webroot\webdeveloper\] for info.

If you are just having problems with your modifications and addons...

First make sure that your router has the appropriate ports 'port-forwarded', like 80 [http], 3306 [only if mysql needs to be seen on the outside], and any other ports like 8080. Also make sure that the Windows native firewall is not blocking these ports and programs. Sometimes, anti-virus and other s/w can cause problems.

As far as your httpd.conf modifications, you should check \www\Apache22\logs\error.log for problems.

Also note the modifications devside has made, the configuration process is now modular. httpd.conf is just the bare minimum, everything else gets loaded from conf\Suite-extra\components.conf, which loads all the other conf\Suite-extra\*.conf files.

And turn mod_secuirty OFF, under componets.conf.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 03:50:02 PM »

What version did you install?

I'm assuming the latest, v1.90 or 1.91. It has the Controller and install/uninstall.

The previous versions are 1.18- and are a bit different. Uninstallation is manual.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 04:14:40 PM »

Hi thank you for responding.

Yes, the latest. I was able to go http://127.0.0.1:8080 and view. I could ping my static, everything was setup properly in zoneedit, you could even see in the bottom left of the window when loading the page via domain name my webforwarded address resolving, but then it goes to page cannot be displayed.

my site is http://www.porubskihome.com. At last I was utterly confused @ about 3:30 this morning. I have no idea if it's running right now. I am so angry I can't do this. It makes no sense. For over a year I had it running great on both server platforms and now I can't do anything right.

Firewall is disabled, and zone alarm is disabled.

Zoneedit is synching from direct update because ZE has my newest address every time. I can ping the nameservers, but my domain doesn't resolve, "unable to contact host" when pinging.

I should also let you know, this is back on the P4 on Windows XP OS. I even went as far as unloading the latest wamp and installing java_EE_SDK. That too does not allow me to view publicly.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:10:02 PM »

I can only help you if you are running the Web-Developer Server Suite.

Do you have a router?

Are you running your site via Apache or Tomcat, or Tomcat/mod_jk?

What port?

Can you contact your site via http://publicip:port?

Is everything working locally?

As far as your domain, it does not resolve to an IP address at this moment. That would be your 1st problem and something that is purly on the dyndns side...

[root@www root]# resolveip porubskihome.com
resolveip: Unable to find hostid for 'porubskihome.com': try again

If you are using Tomcat, I suggest you use mod_jk and port 80 for everything, or otherwise port-forward incomming port 80 requests under router to your system:8080.

Also note that if you are using Tomcat or mod_jk, under our configuration, everything is bonded to localhost initially. Under mod_jk.conf and Tomcat's server.xml.

DeveloperSide.NET
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:57:42 PM »

By default I shouldn't have to edit the conf file should I? If I'm installing and entering that data in the MSI. I should only have to enter the port forwarding ID such as 8080 correct? Yes, I was able to navigate http://IP:8080.

My wife confirmed the site isn't running right now, and it is setup on the java_EE_SDK platform currently. So, I guess I'm going to go back home tonight, pour a huge glass of captain morgans and start from scratch.

Let me ask you this. Would it be more beneficial for me to leave my current router issued address of 192.168.1.x and configure port forwarding, or use a static that changes 9 million times a day? I've always used the dynamic but see in forums people using the default addy with port forwarding configured on the router.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 06:20:08 PM »

Let me ask you this. Would it be more beneficial for me to leave my current router issued address of 192.168.1.x and configure port forwarding, or use a static that changes 9 million times a day?

You do not change the router issued IP address, at least not outside its space. Doing so would have no benefit. And statics do not change, only dynamics. Again, if everything is working locally, this is an issue only with your dyndns provider [especially now that i know the nameservers are NOT resolving your domain to any ip]. BTW, dynamics, most of the time, only change on reboots.

Make sure your ipupdate utility has a port, other than any server ports, and that port is forwarded correctly.

DeveloperSide.NET
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 06:22:36 PM »

Hmmm. I had mine dynamic for the past year. Verizon wouldn't change it for weeks, then all of a sudden it would change 15 times in 3 days. BTW, verizon sucks, but it's cheaper than comcast and they are my only two options.
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »

I went home and reconfigured reinstalling wamp.

I went into my router and set up port forwarding on 192.168.1.44 range 8000 9000 base host 8080 TCP IP, range 8000-9000 base host 8080 UDP.

I went to zoneedit and configured my domain to porubskihome.com to point to 192.168.1.44:8080

I configured DirectUpdate to host on 127.0.0.1 and my DNS to point porubskihome.com and www.porubskihome.com to my zoneedit name servers

Direct update is seeing my ip as 72.78.xx.xx [I don't know what it is right now]

I can http://127.0.0.1:8080 on the local and my site comes right up.

Am I missing something?

I configured my conf file with forwarding on ports properly at the top of the file and the information at the bottom of the file below

----------------------------------------------------------------
NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.44:8080

#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
# server name.
#
#
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.44:8080>
    ServerAdmin admin@porubskihome.com
    DocumentRoot /www/
    ServerName 127.0.0.1:8080
    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 07:08:05 PM »

1st, domain name resolution does not point to any ports in general, only to domains. Otherwise, you would need a proxy server.

2nd, pointing a DNS record for your domain to a local IP does absolutely nothing except telling whoever requests your domain name, to go see that local IP [local to them now]. At this point, if I requested your domain, I would be hitting my local network.

3rd, hosting anything on 127.0.0.1 pretty much locks everything up outside your local system.

DeveloperSide.NET
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 07:27:35 PM »

Alright, I guess at this point we'll all agree that I must be taking dumb pills. I give up.

Thank you for your help
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 09:19:51 PM »

Just port forward your LAN system IP, port 8080, to WAN port 80, under your router. Then setup your dynamic dns software to point your public IP, no port, to your domain name. Done.

Thats assuming you are not using anything but Tomcat or the JDK.

DeveloperSide.NET
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 01:08:01 AM »

OMG!!! Well, after enough tinkering; please good lord tell me I got it right. Can you confirm? http://www.porubskihome.com It's working perfectly on my home lan. After about 2 weeks, 2 bottles of Captain, and 1 1/2 bottles of gin I think I've got it. Please good lord and Admin tell me I'm right?
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 03:06:14 AM »

I have good news and I have bad news...

The good news is that your domain is resolving to an IP, a public one.

The bad news is there is nothing there, at this moment.

DeveloperSide.NET
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:20 AM »

Though I can ping the address, Make sure Apache and Tomcat are not bound to 127.0.0.1 or any local IP.

DeveloperSide.NET
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: