DeveloperSide.NET Forums
July 11, 2020, 10:35:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: configuring phpBB  (Read 28982 times)
2obvious

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2005, 04:37:11 AM »

using the most recent version of the web-server suite, i'm trying to set up a phpBB bulletin board.  i've referred to http://www.devside.net/web/server/windows/phpBB for guidance, but my end result is always the same:

an error message reading

"The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose"

(i'm willing to uninstall and start from scratch, but i've had difficulty finding instructions for uninstallation.  furthermore, i tried several independent installations of apache, mysql, php, and phpBB, before finally stumbling across your suite...so there may be residue from old installations that are complicating things.)

any help is appreciated.

-E.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 09:11:26 PM »

You need to make sure that under php.ini you have extension php_mysql uncommented.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
2obvious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 03:31:45 PM »

wow, that actually had some affect (pardon my skepticism).

no more of the old error!  so now it recognizes my database server.

unfortunately, it's not connecting to the database i created.  i'm now getting this error:

phpBB Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

-E.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 07:05:38 PM »

You need to give it a user with a password and a database that has permissions set to allow that user access to that database.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
2obvious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 01:27:01 AM »

son of a gun, it's up and running.

i confused the admin username and password with the database username and password.  walking through it a second time at your prodding, this mistake became clear.  now everything is working.

thanks for your support and moreover, thanks for consolidating all of this great software into an easy-to-use package.

--E.

-E.
mms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 07:24:51 PM »

Hi. I'm receiving a msg during install. I've reviewed the installation tutorial, and notes, and I'm still stumped.

MYSQL should be set up properly. I created a database, and a user, and gave that user full permissions to the database.

Now when I go to :

My server is SUSE 10.0 and runs Apache 2.0.54, with apache2-mod_PHP4 Module for Apache 2.0 Install Version 4.4.0-6

Also the PHP4 Core files. After it didn't work, I added the php4-mysql module to see if that would fix the problem, stopped and restarted all services in xinetd, and stopped and restarted mysql only to see the same results.

I fill out all the fields completely and accurately.

http://www.mywebsite.com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Upon continuation to the next page, I get the error:

Install

An error has occurred during installation

The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose

I'm not sure what I need to do. I've been poking around the net, but have resorted back to here because I'm in need of a plan to fix this. One thing I also might mention is I extracted the phpbb2.0.18 archive to /srv/www/htdocs (root) and did not adjust any permissions on anything, but the tutorial did mention to set the config.php and I tried that with no affect.

Any help is most appreciated as I'm excited to get this board up and running.

Thanks a lot in adavance..

gt;>mm<<
aboima

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 03:57:35 AM »

Please can help i get the same error  "The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose"  but still cant find the solution

I am using windows xp professional

PHP 5.0
Mysql 5.0

ALL installed on the same Laptop which is my SERVER

My database name is correct and so is the username and password. server port is 80

Script Path: /Inetpub/wwwroot/phpBB2
Database Server Hostname / DSN - localpath

My domain name is e779409 which it picked up by default. this happens to be my PCs host name

I even edited the php.ini file to uncomment php_msql.dll but i get the following error when i do this

"PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library './php_msql.dll' - The specified module could not be found. in Unknown on line 0 "

I used an installer program to install PHP5.0 as i dont know how to do it the proper way. could this be the problem.can you help?

thanks in advance

Andrew
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 08:28:10 PM »

This error will also happen when the system path is not set with the php dir.

DeveloperSide.NET
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 10:54:12 AM »

I've entered everything I thought was right?

Default board language:  English
Database Type:  MySQL 4.x/5.x
Choose your installation method: Install

Database Configuration
Database Server Hostname / DSN:   localhost
Your Database Name:   mynewdb
Database Username:  
Database Password:   rootwdp
Prefix for tables in database:   phpbb_

Admin Configuration
Admin Email Address: xx@xx.com  
Domain Name:   www.mysite.com
Server Port:   8080
Script path:   /phpbb2/
Administrator Username:  john doe
Administrator Password:   xxxx
Administrator Password [ Confirm ]:xxxx

[Start Install]
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »

You have to manually create the phpbb database and database user.

DeveloperSide.NET
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 03:07:49 PM »

Isn't that what I'm doing when I'm doing the install for phpbb2. Thats what this is.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »

No, that part is manual, what you are doing is telling the installer what db and  db user to use...
http://www.devside.net/guides/windows/phpbb

BTW, the next version of the Suite will have Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, MediaWiki, and phpBB2 installed as components.

DeveloperSide.NET
rossporubski
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 05:49:15 PM »

Man, more people need to donate. You should go in business. This stuff's like nothing for you. I wish I could program.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 06:17:32 PM »

You should go in business.

I'm working on it.

DeveloperSide.NET
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: