DeveloperSide.NET Forums
May 23, 2019, 07:09:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Software Firewall Recomendations  (Read 19692 times)
ProBlazer

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:02:37 PM »

can anyone recomend a good software firewall?  Currently using the last version of Sygate they released, but I'm thinking it maybe abit out dated now. 

this is for a home\small office setting. 

I have a home router that includes a firewall, but I have always doubled up with a software firewall too.  however I have heard that you don't need a software firewall in this case.  any opinions on this topic?
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:30:05 PM »

I've always recommended a router based firewall in this context. The linksys wrt54gs is one of the better choices as its firmware can updated via some 3rd party router distros.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
rp_024
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:59:18 PM »

Zonealarm
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 06:56:30 PM »

Thats the one that we have had serious problems with, related to the Suite.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
rp_024
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:21:45 PM »

You're kidding me? I've had no problems at all. What is happening?
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 12:53:12 AM »

It was back in the day, I'm sure they have worked it out. Basically, after some release, Apache would begin to work in very strange ways. Serving some images, while not others. Pages would only load sometimes. And so on. It was actually a bit difficult to track down the problem to zonealarm, but afterwards people started not to trust that particular firewall s/w.

DeveloperSide.NET
ProBlazer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 06:12:39 PM »

I used zonealarm about 3 years ago and I would never use it again.

I ended up using Comodo firewall.

free and LOTS of settings to play around with.  Seems like it should be really secure.
rp_024
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 06:38:39 PM »

Yeh, those kinks must've been worked out. I've never had any probs.
majika

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 06:50:18 PM »

I am NO software Guru but I am no PC Novice either. That said I have been in the game for over 15 years now and I have had runnings with all the major software F/W packages out there.

Sysgate
Symtec
ZoneAlarm
Panda
McAfee
blah, blah, blah...

Currently I have installed on my box ZoneAlarm Suite v7.xx and I am having no issue's what so ever and further more I have a router based Hardware f/w just in case anything slips through the net...

My Router is Netgear which  includes Firmware updatability which is kewl :)  [Netgear 54Mbps Wi-Fi ADSL Router Model DG834G v3]

Again I hate to have to say this but if you play with Windows you are most probably going to be burnt at some stage with respect to script kiddies and their 0day Sploits, IMHO make a move over to Ubuntu which is a wicked Linux Distro, but hey this discussion is for another day.

My last point or better to say tip is this... 

Have you every heard of an application called "PeerGardian v2.5" (The last time I checked ??)

Well anyway, ZoneAlarm lets you create your own rules based on single IP address or a range of IP's or a host/site address, etc. Well my tip is this: acquire a data.dat file by using PeerGardian (this is the collected list of bad websites or rogue spammers, MPAA, RIAA generally unsavory characters IP addresses. )

Then just add this information to your firewall; hardware or software based, provided you are willing to edit the config files for your routers.

If not dont understand of prefer not to mingle with your hardwear router then just use your software based f/w for the import.

just Import the data.dat file manually via the ZA control panel, Host/Site/IP rule maker, which means that you can use PeerGardian to update its blocked IP list (daily/weekly, etc) and then use Zonealarm for the import of this data and then close PeerGardian down and save on system resources.

But all things aside I just Love the Web-Developer. I much prefer it to XAMPP.  Web developer is running my internal intranet holding up 10 boxes and a shed load of Database queries daily it is truly being a stable platform from which I have been able to build my network and applications and test them :)

Cheers, Majika :)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: