DeveloperSide.NET Forums
August 17, 2018, 01:58:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: name to log in?  (Read 16401 times)
Vacilando

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:32:46 AM »

The application asks me for a name and password to update the DNS. However, when I applied for a DNS account on the web, I used an e-mail address and a password, thus not any name. So what is the login name, where is it, or how should I set it?

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 03:29:52 PM »

There have been several major changes with our DNS system.

The DNS client that comes with WDController.exe is not compatible with the new system.

It will be removed under the next Release, and a separate application will be written to send DNS updates to dynside.net.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Vacilando

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »

Thanks, I am happy you're working on this. But what can I do today in order to get your nameservers updated for my TLD, so that I can test how your application works?

Thanks for any tips!

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:24:31 PM »

You should be able to do everything you need under DynamicSide.NET.

The only external steps needed, are with your Registrar, updating the nameservers for your Domain to...
ns1.dynside.net IP:64.62.190.106
ns2.dynside.net IP:64.71.152.34

It should be clear what to do, and where to do it, once logged in with your Registrar. Who are you using?
The nameserver update might take some time to propagate. Maybe an hour.

After that, under dynside.net, just enter your domain and use the detected IP address.

You can also just use a dynside.net sub-domain without any hassle [no nameserver setup], to test things out. [which I suggest you do]

Just make sure...
1) you are not behind a proxy
2) port 80 has been port forwarded under your router
3) the Windows XP firewall has been configured to unblock Apache or incoming port 80.

Note that with out system, DNS updates take effect immediately...
But, your ISP/system/browser might make you wait 10-15 minutes.

This usually happens when you try load the domain/sub into your browser [domain/sub does not exist yet], register that domain/sub with us, and try it again in your browser. In which case, due to a DNS cache holding a negative entry somewhere down the line, the browser will once more return a "can't find the server" message . It will take a few minutes to clear.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:37:17 PM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Vacilando

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:38:33 AM »

Ok, that is clear now.

One last question: in my router, I have set forwarding of port 80 to the correct internal IP. But when I try to browse to the external IP address (or your subdomain), no page comes up (it waits for a long time, then says "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.") But when I try the same IP (subdomain) from a different place on the internet (not behind my router), e.g. via an anonymizations service (such as anonymouse.org), then it works!

So what I don't know is how to be able to browse to the Internet address of the webserver I have behind the router, from another machine that is behind the same router. It must be a standard problem but I can't find any meaningful info on how to solve it. Any ideas?

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »

Sounds like something is slightly mis-configured under your router.

I'm not sure what would cause that, but you should go though the settings and see if you have any type of firewall or dmz configuration setup.

DeveloperSide.NET
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: