DeveloperSide.NET Forums
December 06, 2019, 03:31:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Viewing logs with MS Notepad  (Read 7750 times)
portland

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »

Viewing logfiles and modifying config files from the web-developer control panel always starts the notepad.exe utility.  Is there a way to define another program for that?
rp_024
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »

Right click on it the specific file and select "open-with"
portland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 04:13:47 PM »

That I know.  As a default I run another program for .txt, .conf, .log files.  But WebDeveloper control panel insists op using notepad to open these files.

So I'm hoping there is a config thingie somewhere that let's you define myfavoritetexteditor.exe instead of notepad.exe.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »

No, not yet at least. In upcoming versions I'll change that with a config file.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
portland

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:24:11 AM »

Hope you don't mind another few suggestions:

- currently it is possible to have multiple instances of WebDeveloper Controller running.   It would be nic if you checked for existing instances before starting it up.

- a 'Restart Service' button would be nice instead of having to go through Stop & Restart..

- a button hot-switching from php5 to php and vv would be nice.  There's a lot of php4 going on in the world and it woul be nice to be able to develop/maintain both versions.  No idea about the ramifications.

- and finally: it would be great if the whole thing could be installed on removable media like a USB memory stick.  Again, no idea what that would entail.  That, in combination with dynside.net, would make a portable webserver combo.

Just some ideas though with some WIBNIs (Wouldn't It Be Nice If ...).  I think a great job was done in creating the current release and I am impressed by it.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 03:26:16 PM »

Those are actually all very good suggestions.

The switching from php5 to php4 and the ability to run of a USB stick are some of the bigger ones on my list.

I did have a restart button on an earlier version of the WDC, but... An 'httpd -k restart'/'net restart apache2' would sometimes throw an error on Windows. I think it might have had something to do with the restart process happening too quickly and/or a file handle not being released properly. So I figured why simulate a restart manually with a stop and than a start message to the Service, when the two buttons above do the exact same thing. Though it would be nice to have a restart button.

I've also started work on an app that can generate/configure an httpd.conf file for Apache [from a GUI]. Not really sure when it will be done, if at all, but I'm in the process of learning Python and figured this would be a great way to learn the language while doing a very cool project.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:48:39 PM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: