DeveloperSide.NET Forums
November 14, 2019, 03:47:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Configuration  (Read 10100 times)
natcolley
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2007, 04:24:33 PM »

How are people typically configuring the package on their sites? i.e., where www.mysite.com is say, a wordpress blog, are the wiki and the forum typically www.mysite.com/wiki and www.mysite.com/forum, or forum.mysite.com and wiki.mysite.com? Does it even make a difference, either technically or in terms of user experience?

I haven't had a chance to download yet, but I understand the thing pretty much installs itself. Are these choices made for me by default? What ports, if any, do I need to open in my firewall? The only change I know I have to make is something to make Apache and IIS play nice together, and I think I've found that elsewhere in this forum. Another option would be to shift Apache to port 8080. Will the package stop and ask me this during the install? A lot of questions, yes, I know. Sorry. Just want to be sure. Thx.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:31:30 PM »

The installer will not detect other instances of Apache, MySQL, or IIS running. It will attempt to install the Apache Service, which is configured to listen on port 80.

After the installation, you can change that port number by editing one line under \www\Apache22\conf\httpd.conf

As far as the xxx.domain vs. domain\xxx issue -- it only matters if you are brining SEO into the picture... And it gets complicated. By default, everything is setup as domain\xxx, but that can be changed, after installation.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:28:22 PM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
natcolley
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 01:18:57 PM »

Ok, now that I have my main sites going, can I just move the wiki and/or the forum as a subdirectory of the blog and it will be accessed over the net as www.mydomain.com/wiki and www.mydomain2.com/forum?  Or is that too simple? Thx.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »

I would leave everything as it is and just edit components.conf, comment out mediawiki and phpbb2.conf, and place the contents of those files under the VH block of that domain.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
natcolley
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 08:03:27 PM »

Ok, just so I am absolutely clear: Am I adding them to the code in the vh block, or am I just moving the content to the folders for the domains I already have listed in the vh block? I think you meant the latter, but like I said, I wanted to be absolutely clear. Thx.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »

Copy and paste the contents of those conf files into the code of the VH.

DeveloperSide.NET
natcolley
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »

OOOhhhhhhh. I get it. Thx.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: