DeveloperSide.NET Forums
May 20, 2019, 08:38:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did you remove Tomcat  (Read 9039 times)
ProBlazer

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »

In your change log it say's that Tomcat will not be included in the new 1.95 Suite version.

What made you decide to remove this crucial piece of software?

One of the main reasons why I loved this suite was because it included tomcat and all the other necessary server software to run a full functioning web server.  However over the past few months I have noticed a lot of extra web software, not really needed to run a web server being bundled in the suite (for example Joomla, Drupal, phpBB ect).  I have delt with it, since it was disabled by default but I would have liked to have an option during install to not even put these on the drive.  I do one of the included web software packages (phpBB), but Id prefer to go out and get it myself instead of having it bundled in with the suite.  Especially since all the extra web software DB are now being pre-created.

Now with Tomcats exclusion in the most current suite, Im not sure if I will be upgrading any time soon.  (I know its not hard to go out and download Tomcat and mod_jk and install them manually myself, but it was so nice to have them included in the suite.)

I do respect and appreciate the work you are doing, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:25:43 PM »

Not a lot of users use it and I have had a hard time supporting it; as I do not do much Tomcat and Java.

It add 10megs to the d/l and requires the JDK. You also have to understand that for every "developer" in the user-base, there are probably 100 "home-users." I have to find the right balance. Some would say the Tomcat package just added bloat and complexity. Others will say they needed it.

For the time being, I'm just going to bundle it as an add-on that you can get from the server/downloads page -- not up yet. The setup will be: unzip and place files here... [You can also get the Tomcat folder, and mod_jk.so, from v1.94, and place directly into v1.95]

The web-apps I've added are basically the result of what "home-users" have asked for.

I don't want to say anything right now, but in awhile, I'm going to split the Suite in such a way that will please both sides.

And with v1.95, the web-apps can be deselected on install, but due to a installer/batch-script issue, I have had to pre-create the db names and users.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: