DeveloperSide.NET Forums
December 06, 2019, 03:17:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing a Main Page  (Read 47965 times)
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 10:52:01 PM »

Tried it.

Can you access it locally? Does it let you through?

Where is the phpbb2 dir right now? Under \www\webapps?

What are the contents of the phpbb2.conf file?

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
bigjoe11a

bigjoe11a
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »

>>Tried it.
Did it work. were you able to see the forums main menu
>>Can you access it locally? Does it let you through?
Yes, I can, locally, Only, I have a 2nd PC, and tried accessing from the web. and
got the same error
>>Where is the phpbb2 dir right now? Under \www\webapps?
Yes
>>What are the contents of the phpbb2.conf file?

Alias /phpbb2 "/www/webapps/phpbb2"

<Directory "/www/webapps/phpbb2">
   Options None
   AllowOverride None

order allow,deny
   allow from 127.0.0.1
#   allow from all

AddType text/html .php
   AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php
</Directory>

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 11:07:36 PM »

That should be...

# allow from 127.0.0.1
allow from all

Not the other way around. make changes and restart Apache. It will work after that.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
bigjoe11a

bigjoe11a
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:23:59 PM »

That worked, Thanks. I didn't see any doc's on that. sorry for the problem.

any way One more question, and I'll let you go.

is there a way to pass login information, between webapps.

Again thanks for you help

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 11:56:22 PM »

That would be something specific to the app. Its usually called a "bridge". But the short answer is no.

DeveloperSide.NET
vatulaulau

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 01:04:07 AM »

Every one knows that the webroot directory is the main web directory. Is there a way of adding a index.php file in that directory and I can use to access all the other pages that I have set up.

and, I do know that each page has its own log in option. Can I transfer login options to each page. or web site thats installed.

Like phpbbs and joomla. That way they are not loging on every time they go from one web site to the other.

I have put a project folder in the webroot directory and accessed it through the http://localhost/projectfoldername  url-I have included an index.htm file in the directory C:\www\webroot\projectfoldername\index.htm.The index.htm file displays a login form-usually this is what is displayed when the http://localhost/projectfoldername  url is entered(Or have I missed something?Thx. )
bigjoe11a

bigjoe11a
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 02:43:42 AM »

Every one knows that the webroot directory is the main web directory. Is there a way of adding a index.php file in that directory and I can use to access all the other pages that I have set up.

and, I do know that each page has its own log in option. Can I transfer login options to each page. or web site thats installed.

Like phpbbs and joomla. That way they are not loging on every time they go from one web site to the other.

I have put a project folder in the webroot directory and accessed it through the http://localhost/projectfoldername  url-I have included an index.htm file in the directory C:\www\webroot\projectfoldername\index.htm.The index.htm file displays a login form-usually this is what is displayed when the http://localhost/projectfoldername  url is entered(Or have I missed something?Thx. )

Yes that Part I do under stand. My question is that theres no way to set it up so  when users log in on the main page. index.php in the web root directory. that they don't have to log in on the others pages or programs that come with web developer. Like phpbb2, and joomla. and so on. So that ever time they go form Joomla too phpbb2 or back to the main page they would would have to log in and out on every page or program.

vatulaulau

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 10:59:25 PM »

Sorry,my bad man...I was actually asking a question back there.Thing is after I do what is stated below,the login form does not display-is there some kind of default file like "webroot.htm" in order for me to have a "front-end" to my project folder.

bigjoe11a

bigjoe11a
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »

No, you just lost me. I just wanted a way for my users to log in one time and not have to log in 3 or 4 times on one web site

np

Joe

natcolley
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 01:56:01 AM »

Hello Vatu and Big Joe:
We have similar issues in that we are not all that experienced with Apache or the webapps and there is no primer written at the non-geek level for us to follow. The people who write these programs and listservs and forums all assume more knowledge than I think is reasonable. What seems simple and obvious to them is not simple and obvious to us. Ok, so much for my rant.

Big Joe, it seems to me that what you want is not only reasonable but entirely predictable, especially since all your apps are on the same machine and the same root. I don't know why someone couldn't write a cookie or similar small program that follows our users throughout our site and 'opens' the doors for them. If not that, then some kind of common log in thru a shared database in mysql that all the apps read from. Conceptually, it doesn't seem all that difficult - but I'm no coder. There are, however, lots of freelance coders out there working thru freelance coding sites. If you're interested, maybe we could split the cost and find someone to write the code for both of us?

Valu, if I understand webdeveloper correctly (and that's no guarantee) there is something in the code which is not obvious to us which moves / aliases / redirects the outside world to the appropriate app. But the default "landing page" for lack of a better term, is just a blank index page that apparently we are supposed to know what to do with. How to make joomla, or your project, the landing page is not at all obvious. But I am pretty sure what you are trying to do, though intuitively reasonable, is not going to work. Your project will have to be put in the webapps folder where everything else is. What you do after that, I am even less sure what to tell you.

You both might want to check out my ongoing issues in the topic "new installer" to see if you can glean anything from that discussion. And if I don't hear from you, good luck to you both.

bigjoe11a

bigjoe11a
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 02:18:28 AM »

Thanks for your input natcolley, How ever I have tried that and all so I have tried  other web sites to that offer help. and well I tried a php program called CMS. and you want to talk about a joke. Thats just it. thats what a lot of these php programs miss. Is support. getting help with a lot of programs is a joke.

98% of the time. and then after 3 months. any support is gone. then your stuck with unless software.

Thats why I like it when it free

vatulaulau

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »

Hello Vatu and Big Joe:
We have similar issues in that we are not all that experienced with Apache or the webapps and there is no primer written at the non-geek level for us to follow. The people who write these programs and listservs and forums all assume more knowledge than I think is reasonable. What seems simple and obvious to them is not simple and obvious to us. Ok, so much for my rant.

Big Joe, it seems to me that what you want is not only reasonable but entirely predictable, especially since all your apps are on the same machine and the same root. I don't know why someone couldn't write a cookie or similar small program that follows our users throughout our site and 'opens' the doors for them. If not that, then some kind of common log in thru a shared database in mysql that all the apps read from. Conceptually, it doesn't seem all that difficult - but I'm no coder. There are, however, lots of freelance coders out there working thru freelance coding sites. If you're interested, maybe we could split the cost and find someone to write the code for both of us?

Valu, if I understand webdeveloper correctly (and that's no guarantee) there is something in the code which is not obvious to us which moves / aliases / redirects the outside world to the appropriate app. But the default "landing page" for lack of a better term, is just a blank index page that apparently we are supposed to know what to do with. How to make joomla, or your project, the landing page is not at all obvious. But I am pretty sure what you are trying to do, though intuitively reasonable, is not going to work. Your project will have to be put in the webapps folder where everything else is. What you do after that, I am even less sure what to tell you.

You both might want to check out my ongoing issues in the topic "new installer" to see if you can glean anything from that discussion. And if I don't hear from you, good luck to you both.

Yeah thanks for your input natcolley.Most WAMP installations like XAMP have their "landing page" in the htdocs folder of their Apache installation-you can use the index.htm file and "direct" the user using it.For the Web developer setup,it is the webroot folder instead of the htdocs folder as stated earlier-thing is,when creating an index.htm file,it seems the Apache server does not "pick-up" on it.As for the Webapps folder-I think I don't have it because I have done only a core installation-just the WAMP part.Hope that help will be forthcoming-yup thanks agin natcolley and bigjoe11a(hope we begin doing some "real-stuff" instead of troubleshooting and looking for solutions to "hiccups" )
bigjoe11a

bigjoe11a
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »

Thanks for the input.

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »

The reason Apache is not picking up the "index.htm" file is because this line under httpd.conf is only telling it to pick up "index.html" and "index.php"...
Code:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.aspx

You can add index.htm to the end, though I would just standardize everything to "index.html"

DeveloperSide.NET
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 01:26:42 PM »

If not that, then some kind of common log in thru a shared database in mysql that all the apps read from. Conceptually, it doesn't seem all that difficult - but I'm no coder.

The log in problem is a big one... There is just no way around it at this time. Either every app has to have a module written that integrates it's user database with the other apps, or log in modules have to be written to take advantage of a 3rd party SSO [single sign on] solution. The latter being the choice that will probably win.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 01:28:37 PM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: