DeveloperSide.NET Forums
November 14, 2019, 04:17:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 9500 times)
swl77

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:14:03 AM »

Hi - I just installed the package and although I haven't completely installed the apps, the core seems to be working fine.  Simple install.

I want to be able to use the platform to do some simple web development, at first as a learning tool.  I have some web server (IIS), a good bit of database (Oracle), and a lot of programming experience - but not PHP - most recently C++ and Java. 

Now, where do I start?  Is there a tutuorial to build a 'Hello World' type of thing or some sample apps of a few pages with some PHP in them? 

Thanks!
Steve
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 03:17:59 AM »

Check the Guide... http://localhost/webdeveloper.php

Aside from that, "webroot" [also called DocumentRoot] is at \www\webroot. Place an html/php file there and you can call it from localhost/file.name.

For coding, and/or starting with the basics of html/php/sql, you will probably be served better on a site that deals with that aspect... We just give you the tools. [at least until this site is converted into a wiki -- which should happen some time in the future.]

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
swl77

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:32:41 AM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I'll give the guide a try.  I should be able to find PHP using MySql example stuff on the net as well, but thought there might be something on DeveloperSide. 

Great installation though.  At least I don't have to fight getting the core pieces to talk to each other. 

And if anybody else reads this and has any suggestions where I might find some basic tutuorial or sample apps, please post and let me know...
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:09:59 AM »

You could try http://www.w3schools.com/

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
sks_ltd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »

PHP by itself is a fairly straight-forward langauge to pick up if you already understand basic coding. I managed to go from only knowing 3 months worth of ADA & Visual Basic to being able to write modules that tacked onto phpBB to act as a news page.

Most useful guides for me were www.php.net and other people's source code :)

A lot of the time someone's already done something similar enough to what you want to do you can take the code and adapt it.
swl77

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:24:02 AM »

That's my favorite method.  Take something that works, even if it only has some of the basic concepts of what you eventually want to do, and build on it.  Finding that something doesn't look to hard now that I've done a little research. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: