DeveloperSide.NET Forums
April 16, 2014, 09:54:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Web-Developer Server Suite v2.00 Released on SourceForge.NET!!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a static IP and Domain Name perminently????  (Read 7699 times)
japreja

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:10:15 AM »

I didn't know where else to post this so I will post here....

I am interested in buying a single IP address and a domain name to associate with it for life, I have searched ICANN.org for the process but there is too much documentation, and its sort of confusing.  I want to use my own PC's to host my websites without paying the monthly or yearly fees, is this possable any more.

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's how this was possable, but alot has changed since then.  Is there a simple way to do this any more???

Is it even still possable to run a dial in BBS system any more???

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:35:39 AM »

You can register a domain name from any number of Registrars... The popular one these days seems to be "Go Daddy" [I know, it's a dumb name, but a major Registrar].

As far as buying a static IP, well, that's not really done. You can get a business account with your ISP that might provide a static IP, but it would be much simpler and easier to either get a free Dynamic DNS account that will keep track of your dynamic IP and resolve the domain name to it...or just sign up with $5/month type of hosting.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:03:42 PM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
japreja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:01:47 AM »

I know you can buy static IP allocation through http://www.IANNA.org but still it's not an easy process and you generaly need to buy several at a time. Most, if not all, ISP's own their own range of static IP's, but how are they able to do it.  Do I have to registar as an ISP? I have been searhing for a while and I know it can be done.

Here is an excerpt i read from http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2050.txt accessable through http://www.iana.org/ipaddress/ip-addresses.htm at the bottom of the page.

1. Introduction

The addressing constraints described in this document are largely the
   result of the interaction of existing router technology, address
   assignment, and architectural history.  After extensive review and
   discussion, the authors of this document, the IETF working group that
   reviewed it and the IESG have concluded that there are no other
   currently deployable technologies available to overcome these
   limitations. In the event that routing or router technology develops
   to the point that adequate routing aggregation can be achieved by
   other means or that routers can deal with larger routing and more
   dynamic tables, it may be appropriate to review these constraints.

Internet address space is distributed according to the following
   three goals:

1) Conservation: Fair distribution of globally unique Internet address
   space according to the operational needs of the end-users and Internet
   Service Providers operating networks using this address space.
   Prevention of stockpiling in order to maximize the lifetime of the

Internet address space.

2) Routability: Distribution of globally unique Internet addresses
   in a hierarchical manner, permitting the routing scalability of
   the addresses. This scalability is necessary to ensure proper
   operation of Internet routing, although it must be stressed that
   routability is in no way guaranteed with the allocation or
   assignment of IPv4 addresses.

3) Registration: Provision of a public registry documenting address
   space allocation and assignment.  This is necessary to ensure
   uniqueness and to provide information for Internet trouble shooting
   at all levels.

According to this, in number 1 (Fair distribution of globally unique Internet address space according to the operational needs of the end-users and Internet Service Providers operating networks using this address space.

it is possable, and must be fairly distributed.  It can like-wise be looked at as ISP's hording the address space from the end users, also described in the document. So, provisions have been made to make it possable for an individual to own static IP addresses.
japreja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 03:15:43 AM »

I found it, you must go to you Regional Internet Registry (RIR). Currently, in North america, an IPV4 allocation costs $1,250/usd for an allocation size of (/20 (minimum 4,096 IP adresses under the single homed policy)) with an anual maintenance fee of currently $1,250.  according to http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#ipv4_alloc_initial plus you must become a member of ARIN and pay the membership fee of $500/usd/per year.

here are the RIR's currently listed.

These sites will allow you to lease an IPV4  and IPV6 address allocations, in your region of the world, for one year. Be sure to read the guidelines, and abide by them.

For North America this page, http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/ipv4_initial_alloc.html , will help you obtain everything you need to do to lease the IPV4 address space.  If you do not understand IPV4 then go to http://www.arin.net/reference/index.html and read the Technical Fact Sheets.

I hope this post remains active and usefull to everyone who wishes to become their own host.  However domain names are a different story.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 03:20:35 AM by japreja » Logged
night2dark2

Yeah Dont really ask.

mfaiotto@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 12:19:41 AM »

Or you could ask your ISP to change your IP once every 3 months? hehe I got static but sometimes I have to force my ISP to change it >_< NUB Site Hackers trying to hack into my database computer >_<

Revolution Gamers Host.
Master of all Gunz Server Hosting Needs.
Revolution Gamers International Gaming Commmunity
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: