DeveloperSide.NET Forums
December 07, 2019, 04:30:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you set up alias with Virtual Hosts  (Read 13525 times)
hdogg4u
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:50:47 AM »

How do you set up aliases with Virtual Hosts? I dont know even know what that would be called.

I have a web mail php scripts that I have my zone alias set to mymail.xxxxxx.com and forums.xxxx.com

I also have many virtual hosts but would like to add these to any given virtual host.

I trying the alias script in virtual host with no luck. If you can point me in the right direction that would be great.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do. Could you give me an example.

If you just want to alias a URL to a DIR location...
Alias /someurl "/www/somedir"

If you are trying to alias multiple host.domain.tld to one VH...
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName  host1.tld
   ServerAlias www.host1.tld www2.host1.tld www3.host2.tld

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
japreja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:13:54 PM »

I am curious about this too.

Me personaly, I would like to know how to setup subdomains and virtual hosting of multiple sites.

using hdoggs example

www.xxxx.com is the main site <drive>:www/webroot/

store.xxxx.com would be the shopping area, for instance oscommerce even though it is at maybee <drive>:www/store and not directly under webroot

if you can show an example with one of the webapps that come standard with your distribution it would be extremely helpfull.

However I would also like to host a few sites for some friends, which would have their own unique domain name and content, with one server.  Can this be done with a single IP address? How would I go about doing it?  I guess it would be shared hosting.

I havent tried looking in the apache manual yet, as I dont know realy where to begin.  Once I figure it out, I can make a PDF doc to help others if you dont mind me using posts from the forums here to make a decent howto guide for users of devside.net. maybee someday full documentation if ya like my work. I'de need to find a good free screen/window capture tool for better describing things.

Thanks for your valueble time Admin
japreja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 09:45:28 PM »

Heh, I found the answer to my question about shared hosting at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/examples.html its actualy looks pretty simple. There are quite a few different scenarios and examples on that page.  I think it would be the same for subdomains, but haven't gotten that far.

Not sure if this is what hdogg is looking for.
night2dark2

Yeah Dont really ask.

mfaiotto@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:49:02 PM »

Just a warning you will need to copy over PHP permissions from Webroot. Else the scripts will display scripts and not Blank pages.

Revolution Gamers Host.
Master of all Gunz Server Hosting Needs.
Revolution Gamers International Gaming Commmunity
japreja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:10:41 PM »

I believe you would also need to update the MX records from where the domain names were leased. including for subdomains.  it's provided free and unlimited where I leased mine, not sure if it is that way with all.
night2dark2

Yeah Dont really ask.

mfaiotto@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 10:12:47 PM »

Well I have 20 subdomain vhosts and I didn't need to register them. It's probally because I have Them Under the  same location.

Revolution Gamers Host.
Master of all Gunz Server Hosting Needs.
Revolution Gamers International Gaming Commmunity
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »

http://forums.devside.net/index.php?topic=1539.0

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: