DeveloperSide.NET Forums
August 17, 2018, 01:58:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is web forwarding disabled?  (Read 12380 times)
portland

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »

?
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:04:39 PM »

It has not been implemented yet. It's not particularly difficult to code, but the integration issue with our DNS system is.

I cannot give you an ETA at the moment, we are re-doing DeveloperSide.NET, and have a few other projects to do after this. dynside.net comes after this -- which will also have to be redone.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
portland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:57:02 AM »

Can't you simply add a port number on the "Domain Name to IP Address Configuration:" page?  That way you'd know for sure the record exists or will exist.

I'm sure there's more under the hood that makes it hard.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:59:08 AM »

The DNS system does not deal with port numbers at all. It only resolves domains to IPs. Nothing more.

There are several methods used to get around this. The method I would use, is to resolve domain.com to our server IP, have the server forward the browser to *www*.domain.com:some-other-port... With that *www*.domain.com being resolved to your IP address. That way you can link out regularly, and everything gets redirected to the right port#.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:53:32 AM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
portland

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »

What I meant was: combine the DNS Management page with the Web Forward page.  I realize it has nothing to do with the solution of the port forwarding problem. 

I noticed that the WebForward page makes you provide info that is already available on the other page.  Since it would only add one small item to the DNS management page, I felt it could work.

But again, it is merely cosmetic and has nothing to do with the issue of port forwarding.  This may have been confusing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: