DeveloperSide.NET Forums
October 15, 2019, 04:59:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suite 2.0 Released -- please read  (Read 24127 times)
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 12, 2007, 12:59:08 PM »

Web.Developer Server Suite v2.00, Community Edition has been released on November 10, 2007. Within the coming weeks we are also deploying a completely different website.

You can download the Community Edition from our SourceForge.NET project page.

Please see...
changelog.txt
Suite Guide

There have been major changes.

The configuration structure has been changed to be more Virtual Host centric.

Most of the information you will find in this forum, up to this date, will not apply correctly to Suite 2.0 and beyond.

Take into consideration that  '\www\webroot' no longer exists and everything is now either under '\www\vhosts\localhost' or any extra Virtual Hosts you might add to this directory and configuration structure. Configuration file \www\Apache22\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf contains Virtual Host 'localhost' and two example/template Virtual Hosts.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:06:38 PM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 03:06:16 PM »

Our new website is operational.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Livingstone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »

any upgrading notes?
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 06:26:03 PM »

No specific notes except what is in the changelog.txt and the Guide.

I suggest doing the following...

1. Stop Apache and mySQL Services.
2. Rename 'www' directory to 'www.old'.
3. Move out the my.ini and php.ini files from C:\Windows to 'www.old'.
4. Installing Suite v2.00.
5. Get a handle on the new vhost and configuration structure.
6. Implement any configuration changes/additions you had.
7. Copy over old database [\www\mysql\data] if needed, your specific webroot files to \www\vhosts\localhost, and anything else you might need.

DeveloperSide.NET
AJ

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:15:20 AM »

Web.Developer Server Suite v2.00, Community Edition has been released on November 10, 2007. Within the coming weeks we are also deploying a completely different website.

You can download the Community Edition from our SourceForge.NET project page.

Most of the information you will find in this forum, up to this date, will not apply correctly to Suite 2.0 and beyond.

Hello

I have worked with Apache (variants) and Linux (variants) for a couple of decades, give or take a few years. I am educated in computer/network management and programming. My last job was with SolutionInc Limited, http://www.solutioninc.com/. I was diagnosed with progressive MS last year (following too many years of suffering misdiagnosis and debilitation). Presently I am unable to work away from home. Medical bills and recurring expenses have left me poor (and forced to accept Social Assistance). I have a family to support. But as I am now and as circumstances persist, I can not! I do know how to earn a good income online, but I require some support - exactly, advice and direction. As listed below:

I have constructed a dedicated server system: Windows XP Pro SP3; MSI P4 Platinum main board - 3rd generation DOT express, Intel 945P chipset Neo; Intel Pentium D 945+ processor, 3.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2x2 L2 cache; Kingston 1 GB PC2 4200 CL4 240 pin DIMM (KVR533D2N4K2/1G); Thermaltake TR2-430W, Universal 24(20) pin, PCI Express X1, PFC, S-ATA X2 powered; Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380815AS, 80GB 7200 RPM, 8MB Cache, SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive; 100.0 Mbps connection.

Since a couple family members (and not educated in computer/network/server management) shall manage this business venture, it was suggested that I install an operating system and server suite that a "novice" may operate with expected/understandable ease. Therein lays the problem! - I have limited experience operating a Server on a Windows box... and I barely have a clue where to start. I require a secure, fast server that can manage 300 to 1000 hits a second (maximum projection during "peaks") with little to no performance loss. Perl, php and MySQL powered. I shall be using several virtual host configurations, relying primarily on Drupal and CMS Made Simple (active projects I contribute to. I have been a member of SourceForge since the beginning, and I am also an accomplished web designer/programmer), I will also use custom scripting mainly in Perl/CGI. I shall also experiment with other applications... such are available on http://www.opensourcecms.com/.

I have tried so many available Windows specific Server Suites, the last being Abyss Web Server, but obviously nothing compares to Apache, including Sun Java System Web Server. I currently have installed the Web.Developer Server Suite 2.0 community edition for Windows (I can not afford the paid Professional option), but without the full documentation and support, it is hard to understand, configure, and test to my needs. I have wasted 2 months already... trying to set-up a reliable solution, and I am running out of time.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. (All I actually need is the Server(s) set-up and configuration, including Perl, php and MySQL... the rest I can manage on my own)

Best Regard,

AJ =)
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 03:12:15 PM »

All I actually need is the Server(s) set-up and configuration, including Perl, php and MySQL... the rest I can manage on my own

What are the problems you are having with the Suite?

DeveloperSide.NET
AJ

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »

What are the problems you are having with the Suite?

I require a secure, fast server that can manage 300 to 1000 hits a second (maximum projection during "peaks") with little to no performance loss.

Regarding the box I constructed to run the server, and the fact that I have optimized my windows installation to support a server... If I leave the community edition set to defaults, will the server be able to support a high-traffic news site/sites without a dip in performance? (I have not tested a server installation on windows...) I do not want to lose visitors due to double-digit page access during peak hits. Once I get Drupal/CMSMS up and running and customized, management should be rather easy for a novice... performance is everything.

(I applaud you for this combination server suite and software package - complete! - Sweet.)

Thanks
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 12:05:42 AM »

300-1000 "hits" per second is not a huge problem for lets say purely static content, but for dynamically generated pages, that can put the server under conciderable load. How much load depends on the specifics of what scripts are running, and how heavily the database is being accessed.

Now if you are asking how will our Suite handle the load compared to a Apache, PHP, MySQL solution under Linux, it will probably have similar load characteristics.

Aside from that, the answer also depends on what a "hit" is.

I've written an Apache Server Performance Optimization article here...
http://www.devside.net/articles/apache-performance-tuning

DeveloperSide.NET
AJ

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 01:37:37 AM »

Now if you are asking how will our Suite handle the load compared to a Apache, PHP, MySQL solution under Linux, it will probably have similar load characteristics. Aside from that, the answer also depends on what a "hit" is.

Thanks for the link - I'll study it following this post. "Hits" - mainly, aside from nominal/anticipated traffic, "unique page views" per second (unusual, occasional peaks).

I would usually use 2 sometimes 3 servers to share the load of a busy project. The main site, like Drupal, would be run with minimum features activated. Comments (if used), forum and mail features would be accessed from a sub-domain on another server, and additional or contributed news and archives would run on another sub-domain, etc. So... if I can expect the same performance on windows to what I would expect for linux, than all is well. (Unless you have more to add?)

Thank you very much :)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: