DeveloperSide.NET Forums
December 11, 2019, 01:43:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do not use Download Accelerators to d/l packages.  (Read 11873 times)
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 29, 2003, 07:30:14 PM »

Some people have been creating 600+ connections in a matter of an hour while downloading www.rar.  Each connection gets a different part of the file, and so they think the package is downloaded faster.

While I do not mind a Download Accelerator that is configured for 4 or 5 connections, 600 is not okay.

You do not receive the package any faster than if you just download it with one connection, like everyone else does.

As a matter of fact, this method does just the opposite.  It slows down the download, makes it harder for other people to get it, and makes a mess of my logs.

This is a fast site, and will max out any Cable/DSL connection you have.

When I see someone being so selfish and foolish as to configure their Download Accelerator to try to create a connection EVERY second for hours on end, I have no choice but to ban that IP address for access to the download section.

If you are one of those persons, e-mail me, admin@devside.net, and I might lift the ban, if you stop with this nonsense.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2003, 03:58:20 PM »

can't you configur the number of connetion per ip in the config file?

admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 06:33:34 PM »

I dont think so.

It seems like that would be a good feature in Apache2, I'll look thru the docs...  If you know something, let me know.

What I was going to try, was to use mod_rewrite and take out all the "206" connections.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 10:01:03 PM »

The only thing I have been able to find so far, is mod_throttle for Apache 1, and Apache::LimitIPConn for Apache 2.

DeveloperSide.NET
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 06:42:37 AM »

if you find anything, let us know, could be usefull
here is a lot of doc on mod_rewrite http://www.engelschall.com/pw/apache/rewriteguide/

zeo
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 08:03:10 PM »

I have been reading ur site for all sorts of things..
Its great and has helped me a lot , since i was total noob when it came to servers and all that, and i have gained a lot of knowledge..from here..
and i would hate to see ppl abusing ur kindness..so i am going to look for a program that i know exists.. not antileech but called something else..

that disconnects the user if he is using a Download Accelartor
there is a site that i was on earlier that had that.. and my DA started becase it was on default (not anymore) and i my download never started.. and i was redirected to a page that (in short) said i should put it off..
maybe u can talk to that site admin urself and see where he got that script link: http;//www.doom9.org  u can test the download urself with a DA and see what happens.. pretty cool IMO

and although ur understanding about it.. there is totally no need to allow DA on ur site.. The www.rar was ~25 I think ... and any cable connection would get it in 5 min.. so there is no need for greed , just to get it in 2 min !!
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 12:39:56 PM »

if we know with client header the program sent, we can block the connection if it from that client? if i'm not mistaken

Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 09:16:11 PM »

Its not that simple, there are many different d/l accelerators, and some do not send any headers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: