DeveloperSide.NET Forums
September 18, 2019, 05:01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few RHEL working issues  (Read 12021 times)
Dan

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2004, 08:35:09 PM »

First off I really appreciate this site and forum as it answered a lot of my questions in a straight kind of way...Thanks.

I'm fairly new to Linux and have read a lot since starting with Linux. But sometimes there is nothing better than someone that can explain some problems like you do here. Google has helped tremendously too...I think that was how I found this site...don't recall after all the reading I've done in the last few days. Here goes:

I have a plain RHEL server and I need https support. I have upgraded numerous things on the server (many from your lists here), including Apache2. In the process I shut down the Apache server that comes with RHEL and built my own Apache2 in this dir /usr/local/Apache2/bin. After goofing things up a few times I found your checklist and now I have plenty of vhosts in the httpd.conf working fine. My next step is to get https support working, but have a few questions about a few other things first:

---------------------------------
When I noticed your Apache checklist said it required Perl I figured I'd check to see if there was a newer version out there. I was running perl v5.8.0 and actually am still for some reason. Here's what I did:

]# perl -v
running perl v5.8.0
]# wget http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/stable.tar.gz
]# tar xvzf stable.tar.gz perl
]# cd perl-5.8.4
]# rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
]# sh Configure -de
]# make
]# make test
]# make install
]# perl -v
still running perl v5.8.0

tried this above but this time with
]# sh Configure -de -Dinstallprefix=/usr/lib/perl5/
and with
]# Configure -Dotherlibdirs=/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1
but still have the old Perl running from this dir
/usr/lib/perl5/
and the new installed but not running from this dir
cd /usr/local/lib/perl5

Do I need to worry about this or just keep driving on like I did?

Since I had Perl already running I figured I'd try to update the other things needed for your Apache2 checklist, so next was zlib-1.2.1. I had no problems here and seems to be fine.

I then tried to update openSSL. It all went fine and shows openssl-0.9.7d after I re-login to SSH. However when I was trying to ./apachectl startssl
I can see my vhosts fine, but still no https support, so I went to check my Apache error_log I see this...

[Sat Jun 19 13:35:56 2004] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Sat Jun 19 13:35:58 2004] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `localhost.localdomain' does NOT match server name!?
[Sat Jun 19 13:35:58 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Sat Jun 19 13:35:58 2004] [notice] Digest: done
[Sat Jun 19 13:35:58 2004] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `localhost.localdomain' does NOT match server name!?
[Sat Jun 19 13:35:58 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.49 (Unix) PHP/4.3.7 mod_ssl/2.0.49 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 configured -- resuming normal operations

I'm still working on the certificate issue, but the thing that struck me as odd is that the error log shows the old OpenSSL v0.9.7a. I expected vd. Should I worry about this or will it actually use the new version once the https support is used?

------------------------

Oh one other question...I have a few PHP forums that people post to. One thing someone noticed as odd was that when he edits something in MS Word and then pastes the text into his new post in the forum he has wierd code appear. i.e. we'll becomes we’ll

So I stopped the new Apache2 compile and restarted the old Apache2 and it appears normal. I compiled PHP with TrueFont support, but that didn't make a difference and it seems to be an Apache2 compile problem...any ideas?
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 09:17:35 PM »

ok...added the cert and key, but still can't get https to work in a browser (Cannot find server in brwoser).

error_log now looks like this when I stop and then startssl:

[Sat Jun 19 15:59:47 2004] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Sat Jun 19 15:59:48 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Sat Jun 19 15:59:48 2004] [notice] Digest: done
[Sat Jun 19 15:59:49 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.49 (Unix) PHP/4.3.7 mod_ssl/2.0.49 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 configured -- resuming normal operations

Any ideas on this? Thanks
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 09:50:47 PM »

but still have the old Perl running from this dir
/usr/lib/perl5/
and the new installed but not running from this dir
cd /usr/local/lib/perl5

Did you update your environment path variable to reflect the newer perl dir before the older perl dir ?
You could also remove the older perl rpm package.

Apache/2.0.49 (Unix) PHP/4.3.7 mod_ssl/2.0.49 OpenSSL/0.9.7a

Did you build the newer OpenSSL before building Apache?
Did you take note of the updating the run-time linker section?
And did you specify --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl when building Apache ?
If this still results in the older version being displayed, copy over the two mentioned libs in that section.

Oh one other question...I have a few PHP forums that people post to. One thing someone noticed as odd was that when he edits something in MS Word and then pastes the text into his new post in the forum he has wierd code appear. i.e. we'll becomes we’ll

So I stopped the new Apache2 compile and restarted the old Apache2 and it appears normal. I compiled PHP with TrueFont support, but that didn't make a difference and it seems to be an Apache2 compile problem...any ideas?

What does copying and pasting into a forum have to do with Apache?
This is a client-side issue.  MS Word does not use regular " and '.

When you tell me that you "stopped the new Apache2 compile and restarted the old Apache2" I have a hard time understanding exactly what you did and what effects that had.

BTW, if you care about your production (?) system, I would just keep the older perl, openssl, zlib libs.  RedHat has been know to make their own code changes to the packages they distribute.

]# perl -v
running perl v5.8.0
]# wget http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/stable.tar.gz
]# tar xvzf stable.tar.gz perl
]# cd perl-5.8.4
]# rm -f config.sh Policy.sh
]# sh Configure -de
]# make
]# make test
]# make install
]# perl -v
still running perl v5.8.0

tried this above but this time with
]# sh Configure -de -Dinstallprefix=/usr/lib/perl5/
and with
]# Configure -Dotherlibdirs=/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1

I see 5.8.0, 5.8.1, 5.8.4, typos?

Are you sure you know what some of the above directive do, and are you keeping track of what you have done.  At this point, I would asume you have a few components running that have libs and files in places they should not.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 04:18:20 AM »

Thanks for the help! I've been working my food on the table job hard all weekend and will start getting this done.

Did you update your environment path variable to reflect the newer perl dir before the older perl dir ?
You could also remove the older perl rpm package.

I try to keep maticulus notes on what I do for my server history and for my learning purposes. I didn't write anything about updating the environment path variable for Perl, so probably didn't. I'm googling right now to learn how to updating the environment path.

Did you build the newer OpenSSL before building Apache?
Did you take note of the updating the run-time linker section?
And did you specify --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl when building Apache ?
If this still results in the older version being displayed, copy over the two mentioned libs in that section.

Yes.
Not sure what you mean by the run-time linker section.
I used this as my configure line.

./configure --with-php --with-mysql --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-mods-shared=most --enable-deflate --enable-ssl --with-z=/usr/local/lib --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/lib --with-layout=GNU

I'll try the copying of libs over as after I learn about the run-time linker section. See I'm just learning  :)

What does copying and pasting into a forum have to do with Apache?

Nothing much, but it was odd. Sorry if I lost you conveying my testing of the Apache versions. The already posted text had the curly type of
We’ll compared to We'll.  The original RHEL version of Apache had no problems converting the ’ to a ', but the new compile didn't like it. So I thought maybe it was a problem with PHP, but I then tried running the old Apache with a newly compiled version of PHP and it still didn't matter as the old Apache showed it properly. I just thought that maybe it was a common font thing that was easily fixed wit ha proper compile. I wish the RHEL came with a config.nice that I could have used for my compile config of Apache.  :(

BTW, if you care about your production (?) system, I would just keep the older perl, openssl, zlib libs. RedHat has been know to make their own code changes to the packages they distribute.

Good copy...I had read that somewhere else also. Thanks for the advice.

I see 5.8.0, 5.8.1, 5.8.4, typos?

Are you sure you know what some of the above directive do, and are you keeping track of what you have done. At this point, I would asume you have a few components running that have libs and files in places they should not.

Doh...good eye.

[root@secure root]# locate 5.8.1
/usr/src/perl-5.8.4/Changes5.8.1

I guess I mistyped it when documenting it.

Thank for all the help...I'm going to read more and figure out the path environments and the run-time linker section before posting back my results...probably tomorrow night.
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 03:22:18 AM »

While looking up the environment info I ran across this http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/. I figured that since I didn't recieve the CD and my host installed the RHEL that I had to pay for the docs. Am reading there now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: