DeveloperSide.NET Forums
October 20, 2019, 07:17:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solutions to the most common problems...  (Read 89909 times)
jamescarvin

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 02:46:01 AM »

Thank you for this thread. That helps. But I'm not sure I understand what I need. I made the blunder of installing community Develper Suite over a previous install of xAmpp. And now I need to UnInstall everything to start over.

Joomla and Drupal were supposed to be easy. Now here I am troubleshooting development server installs. uhhhhh?

In reply #11 you said:
If you need to uninstall an old Apache and/or MySQL Service but you  have already deleted the program files, you can remove the Service(s) manually.

Run 'regedt32.exe' (or whatever native registry editor you use -- there is another one called 'regedit.exe')
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
Select the old Service(s), hit del key or select menu Edit -> Delete

Exit and reboot.

The Service(s) will be gone.

Questions:
1)How do I uninstall in the first place. Just go to Add/Remove programs?
(OK. never mind. Found it. Start>>DeveloperSide>>Uninstall - pretty simple; however, I still had to uninstall xAmpp through Add/Remove, which also removed MySQL and dbs after prompts)

2) I found regedit in /start>>Run»HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ but I did not see a folder for OldServices. Should I assume that the previous uninstalls already got them?

And in reply #9 you said:
Some users will have PHP and/or MySQL dlls from a previous install of PHP and/or MySQL under the following directories (dlls that were copied by the user to those dirs due to incorrect installation instructions)...

%SystemRoot%/
%SystemRoot%/system32/
%SystemRoot%/system/

%SYSTEMROOT% : Win2000 -> C:\WINNT, WinXP -> C:\Windows

Since these directories come first under the System PATH (relative to ...\PHP and/or \MySQL), the older dlls will get loaded and will cause PHP and/or MySQL to fault.

Check the mentioned dirs for files such as...

php5apache2.dll
php4apache2.dll
php5ts.dll
php4ts.dll
libmysql.dll
php_mysql.dll
php_mysqli.dll

...and any other dlls that you might have copied over.

Questions:
1. How do I find the system root?
(I know this sounds stupid. I have Win XP. Is this c:// ? Under folder options I have view hidden files checked)

2. Do I need to both uninstall and delete these dlls afterwards?
(if I can find them - I can't seem to find them. I did find one dll. It is a MS C++ runtime library file called msvci70.dll. But I don't know how it got there. Sounds more like a misplaced system file. It doesn't sound php/mysql related. Maybe its supposed to be there. Should I delete it?)

3. When will it be safe for me to reinstall? (For instance, I had a previous install of joomla. Do I also need to uninstall this? If so I can't find it in add/remove programs so I'm assuming my previous uninstallations already got it.)

Thanks again!
Total Dufas Newbie
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:00:29 PM by jamescarvin » Logged
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

I found regedit in /start>>Run»HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ but I did not see a folder for OldServices.

"Old Services" as in the names of the old Apache and MySQL services... "Apache2.2" and "MySQL". And hence...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache2.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MySQL

Also note that those instructions where for a test case where the user has incorrectly "uninstalled" by deleting the previous directory that contained whatever Suite or Service they where using, without uninstalling it 1st. This might not apply to you.

1. How do I find the system root?

If you have Windows XP then 99% chance it's C:\WINDOWS
If you have Windows 2000, then it's C:\WINNT.

2. Do I need to both uninstall and delete these dlls afterwards?

Other WAMP distributions, and some earlier setups of PHP, copied the listed DLLs into the listed directories [they should not have done this]. If you don't have any of those 7 listed DLLS under C:\WINDOWS, then you do not have a problem. This is another test case that probably affects less than 2% of the users.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:44:39 PM by admin » Logged

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »

Under Vista, if you need to run cmd.exe [the command shell/prompt/line] to manually install the Apache and MySQL Services, you will need to do one of the following:

1. Disable UAC.

or

2. [classic mode menu] Start, Programs, Accessories. Then right click Command Prompt and left click “Run as administrator”.

or

3. Use the runas command. This one will only work if your admin account actually has a password [runas will not accept blank passwords as input].

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: