DeveloperSide.NET Forums
September 18, 2019, 01:43:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Fedora Core 2  (Read 7355 times)
malves

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2004, 11:45:05 PM »

Do I need to update anything? Here are the relevant packages already installed by default:

zlib-1.2.1.1-2.1
openssl-0.9.7a-35
httpd-2.0.49-4
php-4.3.6-5
mysql-3.23.58-9
tomcat-4.1.27-13
perl-5.8.3-18
mod_perl-1.99_12-2.1
mod_jk2-4.1.27-13

I am only missing:

analog
Apache::ASP
phpMyAdmin
phpBB

All currently installed packages have a coresponding RPM. If I want to fully update to the latest greatest should I just rpm -e everything I am updating and build the installs to the defaults specifed in your instructions or should I leave it as is? What do you recommend?

Michael Alves
IBM
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:20:14 AM »

If you have to ask, I would be on the safe side and just leave it be.

Most of the listed components are up to date.

The way it works with RedHat (Fedora) is that all bug fixes get backported, meaning that while you can have version 1.5 of a component, all fixes from current versions (1.5+) get backported to 1.5.

So you stay current from the bug fix point of view, but not the features/enhancements point of view.

Though if you have the time, and just want to learn, go ahead.  Just don't try it on your production system.

As far as installing to default locations, I like to keep my components in contained directories (/usr/local/apache2), and not all over the file system...  When you install components via RPM, usually some files will go to /bin, others to /var, and so on and on (instead of just /usr/local/apache2 and sub dirs).

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: