DeveloperSide.NET Forums
February 22, 2020, 07:32:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: mail function not working at. all header problem?  (Read 53721 times)
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 03:55:40 PM »

If you want a mail server -- http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercwin.htm

But I think there are a few PHP scripts that simulate an SMTP Server.

Have you been able to get mail with something like Outlook?

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
comrade693

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2005, 04:54:42 PM »

Yes, I have no problem using outlook to check two of my e-mail accounts.  I also have no problem sending e-mail from this computer.  I just installed mail enable, and if that doesn't work, I'll go ahead and try the one you suggested.  I'll post my results, but it seems like I have an isolated problem.

EDIT:

Ok, so I ran the diagnostic utility that came with mail enable.  supposedly there is no smtp server at my address.  However, Outlook can connect to the account I created with localhost.  I can send messages, but then mail enable cannot connect to any other smtp server to send it out.

I am wondering if there is a setting in windows that I am overlooking, or perhaps it may be my router.  I have port 80 redirected to this computer as well as port 25.  I don't have any port restrictions enabled so I do not see how it could be harming this.

Again, any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.  I am dumbfounded as to what is wrong with my setup.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2005, 06:32:43 PM »

You should take a look at your outlook settings for your mail account, like for passwords, ports, etc...

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
comrade693

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2005, 07:56:32 PM »

unfortunatly, they are identical.  That was the first thing i looked at.  I've even tried different smtp servers, and they all failed.  Like I said...I have no clue as to why this is not working.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2005, 08:02:58 PM »

Any anti-virus or firewall software installed?  At any point?

DeveloperSide.NET
comrade693

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2005, 08:06:30 PM »

I have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise Edition 8.0.0.  I disabled Windows firewall when this problem first came up.  I am currently intalling Mercury and hope that it will work.  I will update you once install is done.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2005, 08:48:09 PM »

McAfee products have been known to cause problems.  You might want to stop all the Services it has and shut it down.  Or uninstall it.

DeveloperSide.NET
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005, 08:52:43 PM »

I did a quick search on this product, and it looks like it does mess with all the inbound and outbound SMTP requests.

DeveloperSide.NET
comrade693

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2005, 08:55:16 PM »

Wow...turns out McAfee is blocking port 25.  I can disable that....trying that now:

It now sends, but I don't belive I have the mailserver configured properly.  For some reason I am not getting it at the address I am sending it too.  I am not sure if it is even sending.  Is there anyway to test this?

By the way...thanks for the McAfee thing..never would have thought of that
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2005, 09:00:28 PM »

You can work the SMTP server manually, via telnet...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q153119/

http://www.google.com/search?q=telnet+smtp+server&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1

Note: you will not see what you are typing until you hit enter and get a response.

DeveloperSide.NET
comrade693

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2005, 09:04:06 PM »

Ok, using telnet i get the following response:

220 keepintouch.mine.nu ESMTP server ready.

However, any e-mail i have sent through it has not gone through.

EDIT:

I can recieve e-mails.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2005, 09:05:06 PM »

To receive mail, you use something else, on port 110, or other. POP, IMAP, etc...

Make sure those ports are not blocked via your router/firewall, or McAfee.

DeveloperSide.NET
comrade693

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2005, 09:07:38 PM »

I guess i should clarify what i said.  Any e-mail i send through the server via localhost with php has not been sent to any of my other e-mail acounts.  However, I am able to send to my admin account from both of those, and it recieves it.

It appears to be not resolving domain addresses

Specifically, I get this error:

Temporary error 249 (temporary MX resolution error) resolving 'umich.edu'
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2005, 09:10:52 PM »

Just a note, after opening telnet...
Code:

set local_echo

...will help.

DeveloperSide.NET
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2005, 09:13:22 PM »

Sending from the php mail function?

Edit:  that is -- and using smtp.itd.umich.edu

DeveloperSide.NET
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: