DeveloperSide.NET Forums
August 20, 2019, 11:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Notes on Upgrading the DeveloperSide.NET Web-Server Suite  (Read 30399 times)
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 17, 2004, 04:07:52 PM »

Upgrading the DeveloperSide.NET Web-Server Suite

If upgrading the DeveloperSide.NET Web-Server Suite from a previous version, DO NOT overwrite the older "www" directory with the newer installation.  Some files are read-only and will NOT be overwritten by this method.  Always rename, move, or delete the older "www" directory before upgrading.

Always stop and uninstall the original Apache2 and MySQL Services...
Code:

C:\www\Apache2\bin> net stop Apache2
C:\www\Apache2\bin> apache -k uninstall

C:\www\mysql\bin> net stop MySQL
C:\www\mysql\bin> mysqld-max-nt --remove

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »

Quote from: "admin"

You should get familiar with the mysql command 'mysqldump.exe' and know what versions of mysql you are upgrading from and to...
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysqldump.html

Whatever you do, do make a backup copy of the mysql data dir -- to be safe -- before you do anything.

Here is what I would do to backup a database named 'devside' (under mysql v4.0), and to restore it to database 'devside' (under mysql v4.1).

(from 4.0 mysql\bin dir)

mysqldump --user=root --password=xxx --compatible=mysql40 devside > devside.sql

The above will give you a file named 'devside.sql', placed under dir \www\mysql\data or \www\mysql\bin or maybe the dir you are currently under.

Move file 'devside.sql' somewhere else.
Shutdown, uninstall, install new version.
Place file 'devside.sql' under newer Suite dir \www\mysql\data

(from 4.1 mysql shell)

create database devside;
use devside;
source \www\mysql\data\devside.sql;

(make sure you read the message/warning/error msgs after each command -- stop if anything looks like it failed)

Delete the file 'devside.sql' for security reasons or move it somewhere safe for backup.

You will have to do this for every 'database' you have under MySQL, or learn about more of the options for 'mysqldump'.  *Or just use phpMyAdmin to backup and restore.*

Also, while the above is rather simple -- make sure you understand exactly what is going on or you will have a recipe for disaster (BTW, I'm doing this from memory so do check the theory).

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:25:18 AM »

Very Important:
Quote from: "admin"
Some users will have PHP and/or MySQL dlls from a previous install of PHP and/or MySQL under the following directories (dlls that were copied by the user to those dirs)...

%SystemRoot%/
%SystemRoot%/system32/
%SystemRoot%/system/

%SYSTEMROOT% : Win2000 -> C:\WINNT, WinXP -> C:\Windows

Since these directories come first under the System PATH (relative to ...\PHP and/or \MySQL), the older dlls will get loaded and will cause PHP and/or MySQL to fault.

Check the mentioned dirs for files such as...

php5apache2.dll
php4apache2.dll
php5ts.dll
php4ts.dll
libmysql.dll
php_mysql.dll
php_mysqli.dll

...and any other dlls that you might have copied over. Delete them.

DeveloperSide.NET
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:11:04 PM »

Instead of the source command (which will display results of each sql line), its much better to do...

mysqldump --user=root --password=XXX devside > devside.sql
mysql -u root -pXXX devside < /path/to/devside.sql

DeveloperSide.NET
yfastud
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 03:24:58 PM »

I'm new to this suite so not really need to upgrade, but I should have good note for it because it's a little different approach from my previous wamp package which will auto shut down all services and only remove software but data keep intact when uninstall; then, it auto installs new version over the old dir and will auto pick up the setting from the old one and auto restart all service after installation done. Also, while installing the first time, you can select any destination drive as you like and also option for auto or manual startup.

Another thing, but I'm not sure for now, that everything are inside the dir, so when backup just copy the whole dir while it seems wds have some registered files outside the dir? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

However, that package has only basic Apache w/o ssl, MySQL5, PHP5, and phpMyAdmin; also has add-on Perl, PHP4, Optimizer, webalizer, so on and just like new install or upgrade, it will auto pickup the destination drive, shut down and restart all services after installation done.

Over all, this suite is much better except the installation which I hope you might want to improve later on when you have a little free time ;-).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:29:45 PM by yfastud » Logged
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »

No files outside of \www except for php.ini and my.ini which should go under C:\Windows\.

DeveloperSide.NET
yfastud
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:43 PM »

That is the point because I search the other computer, which still have the old wamp package since we're still in progress of migrating all data over to this computer which has wds, and I can't find any my.ini and php.ini except my.ini in mysql folder and php.ini in php folder and both mysql and php folders are in wamp folder which is in D: drive.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »

You do not want to migrate php.ini or my.ini, unless its the same distribution and MySQL/PHP are the same [major] version. Only migrate the actual changes you need.

DeveloperSide.NET
rp_024
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:20:07 PM »

Shouldn't there be a copy of each in the windows root directory too?
yfastud
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 12:23:57 AM »

No, there is no either copy of my.ini or php.ini in windows root in our other computer and I mean to migrate our projects, not my.ini and php.ini because we do know that they are different from the ones in wds.
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 12:47:24 AM »

You can set the location of php.ini under httpd.conf and mysql will default to other locations if no %system%/my.ini file is found.

DeveloperSide.NET
yfastud
Customer, Basic Support

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 12:53:42 AM »

No, I don't think we want to change their locations, but I'm just telling you the different approach of setting up wamp package. Just the dicussion to learn more things for our knowdleges, and when I say our I mean our group, not including you because we're beginners and still have to learn a lot of things.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:10:54 AM by yfastud » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: