DeveloperSide.NET Forums
July 06, 2020, 04:33:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: phpMyAdmin Outside Access  (Read 4263 times)
andyb

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2004, 05:03:51 PM »

Hi,
I was just wandering how secure it would be if I allowed people I was hosting sites for to configure their databases using phpMyAdmin from a remote location (so changing the settings from localhost only access).

I don't have a problem with creating accounts just to edit certain databases, but there are a series of checkboxes for permissions I'm not sure of.

These priveleges are under the headings: data, resource limits, structure and administration. I don't mind users editing their own databases, but I don't want them to be able to add or delete databases or change settings in the control panel or settings associated with the workings of the SQL server.

Thanks

Andrew Bonney

:roll:  :?:  :?
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 07:06:11 PM »

Create another user, give permissions, and login and see what damage you can do.  As far as permissions go, check the MySQL Docs.

If I recall correctly, to let other users access phpMyAdmin requires for further configuration of a 'control user'.  You should also check the phpMyAdmin Docs.

A workaround would just be to open up MySQL to everyone else, set users/permissions, and let them use the command line interface instead of phpMyAdmin.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: