DeveloperSide.NET Forums
July 13, 2020, 12:23:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Totally Lost  (Read 12961 times)
healthinjoy

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:06:54 PM »

I downloaded the automatic installation package for Apache2, PHP etc. But now what?  How do I get to work?  I clicked on the apache exe file but that didn't seem to do anything.  

How do I get this thing moving??

Please advise.
Thank you.
Joan
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 01:02:31 AM »

The installer did everything for you.  Now you go to http://localhost/ to see the C:\www\webroot\index.html file.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
healthinjoy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:21:08 AM »

I finally just went to Dreamweaver and pretended it was all there, and low and behold it was.  However, when I tried to load a database I got this message:

Your PHP server doesn't have the MySQL module loaded or you can't use the mysql_(p)connect functions.

I found some others had had the same problem and tried the things they tried to the best of my ability, which at the moment is lacking.  Finally I just removed the thing off my PC with the dreaded idea of tomorrow trying to find another way to start over again.  

My excitement of it all working died quickly.  So I am stuck at the moment and not a very happy learner.    :-(     :-)
panosru

panos@psimeonidis.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 09:33:56 AM »

well look its u r not right... when u are on ground floor and u want to go up u cant go to the last flor at once.. u need to go from the flors that are under the last flor so u have to go to 1st flor for begining to go to 2nd , 3rd . . . also to go to 1st flor u need to go from stairs (no elevator here lol) so its hard work, dont quit so easily

sorry my english are terible :P
healthinjoy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »

Quote from: "panosru"
well look its u r not right... when u are on ground floor and u want to go up u cant go to the last flor at once.. u need to go from the flors that are under the last flor so u have to go to 1st flor for begining to go to 2nd , 3rd . . . also to go to 1st flor u need to go from stairs (no elevator here lol) so its hard work, dont quit so easily

Are you kidding? I could not even find the dadburn staircase.  I am not quitting, just gonna try another approach until I can find something that lets me go forward. Of course if I am a lost cause to being my own operator problem... I may be in trouble.

I just need to understand. And it seems all the instructions are for folks who know where the doorway is to the undisclosed elevator!  Or something!  It is a new day and I am frustrated already.... haven't even gotten started yet.  :-)
panosru

panos@psimeonidis.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 02:25:59 PM »

well look a web server is something that help us to c php script that is the use of web server in defrence with html dont need any web server to view the result of html code.
html:

Code:

+----------+
 |   HTML   |
 +----------+
       |
       |  
       |
+------------+
|User Browser|
+------------+

html dont need compile

php:
Code:

+----------+
|php script|
+----------+
       |              +----------+      +----+
       +------------> |Web Server| ===> |HTML| -------------------------+
                      +----------+      +----+                          |  
           +------------------------------------------------------------+
           |
+------------+
|User Browser|
+------------+

see it like a compiler like in pascal we wright the code but if we cant open it as an executable file we have to run the compiler first to save it in executable file.

php code goes to web server (the compiler) and translate the php code to us, us html code so we can see the rusault of php code that we wright.
panosru

panos@psimeonidis.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 02:43:52 PM »

basic php script:

ECHO echo is a php command that prints everythink that is inside her (there are some exeptions) code like:

php:

<?php echo "hello world"; ?>

html resault from web server:

hello world

understand something: echo is not a command that prints on screen anythink that we type in echo. echo is a command that print in html code cuz html have the power to print something on screen thats why we have the web server to translate the php on html cuz php from allown dont have the power to print somethink on screen from allown.
panosru

panos@psimeonidis.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 03:16:26 PM »

u can learn php from book from sites with tutorials or in a school at your area. there are 2 cinds of script language on web the Dynamic Side and the Client Side.
Dynamic Side: php, asp, cold fusion(cfm), java script page(jsp)
Client Side: js script
the defrence betwen php and html is: example:
we have a computer shop site
we have 100 products
lets supose that on page we have a template and in tamlate we have header(top) right - left (menu news anything) footer(bottom) main(here we will show our products) on mainwe have a template style:
Page view:
Code:

+--------------------------------------------------------+
|                                                        |
|  +-----------+                                         |
|  |           |    +----------------------------+       |
|  |   image   |    |                            |       |
|  |           |    |        description         |       |
|  +-----------+    |                            |       |
|                   +----------------------------+       |
|                                                        |
|                                            +---------+ |
|                                            |  price  | |
|                                            +---------+ |
+--------------------------------------------------------+

here we have 3 thinks that changed in each page.
if we develop the site on html we have to create 100 html pages (as our products) is we want one day change something (like the color of font in price or table or header or anything else) we have to change 100 pages
in php we dont need 100 pages to do somethink like that, we need only one page with 3 variables ($images - $description - $price) the only think that we have to do in php is to set a navigation menu type ?id= (after = a nuber) and conect the file with a databale (firt learn the basic and the mean of php to understand the defrence betwen html and then u will develop anythink with database, database is the most important think that makes a big defrence betwen client side languages and dynamic side languages) well lets get back to examle. as i sayd we will make a navigation meny ?id= like and we will have an script (i dont want to say it now to not confuse u, lets get to basic first) and we will say that our variables ($image, $description, $price) will change on each id. so we have one page and 100 id that these id's are our rows on oure database, we store our profucts on database and not on pages, we make this like that make our life us developers esiest cuz we can develop a control panel and change - add - delete every product and make easy changes on our web pages, cuz in our client the examle situation tell as to change somethink in page in html side we have to change 100 defrent pages (cost time to us and time is money) so in php side we have to change only one page ;) make our life easy ;)
healthinjoy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 10:40:23 PM »

panosru, thank you so very much for your tutorial explanation. You are very kind.  

I have a question. If I have a static html website, but I want to add a page that uses php, do I have to change all my pages to php, or can I have one or two php pages in addition to the html pages?
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 10:56:16 PM »

You can have both html and php pages.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
healthinjoy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 01:59:35 AM »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: