DeveloperSide.NET Forums
July 23, 2019, 06:09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Completely new to Linux, from Windows 2003, IIS  (Read 8352 times)
bi11i

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2005, 03:55:45 AM »

I'm currently running a Windows 2003 server with IIS 6, PHP, and mySQL.  I host a couple of dozen websites, blogs, forums, mail domains, etc. and would like to make the switch from Win/IIS to Fedora/Apache.

I'm looking for a document (or some direction) on how to do this right from installing Fedora (What packages do i select?  Any ideal partition?) on down to configuring the Apache webserver, installing and configuring PHP, and also mySQL.  

I've access to a test machine, apart from production, and have been giving it my best, (help aside) and have come up with either too much fat, or invalid configs, etc.  

Is there any direction someone could point me in so I can finally make the switch (and get as far from the fat MS as I possibly can....?)

Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions, etc...

_b
Jorge
Customer, Basic Support
Guru

jorge_schrauwen@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 09:38:47 PM »

i've experimented with fedora as a webserver in the past... notmuc success.
I had a bit more luck on freeBSD, I only got apache to run though...

bi11i

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 12:33:29 AM »

I had a bit more luck on freeBSD, I only got apache to run though...
thanks for your reply.  FreeBSD is one of the OS' I've yet to look at.  

My current configuration is three servers, one for web, one for file, and the other a test box.  Would it be feasible to slowly migrate my sites over to FreeBSD (still using PHP, mySQL, Apache, etc.?)  I'm not genius, but I was fluent in DOS long before windows made it's mark.  

Any chance I'll be able to 'cross back over to the other side' with FreeBSD?  

How about documentation?  Is there a large community of FreeBSD users (forums, infodepot, etc?) that I could check out?

Thanks again for replying - i know what a pain in the arse it is to answer these types of questions....

Thanks!
admin
Administrator
Master of All Subjects

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 05:09:19 AM »

As far as the answer part: yes, yes, and yes on all your questions.
As far as the implementation part: everything can be answered with a google search.

You will find it that Linux is not that hard once you play around with it.  Its more a matter of sticking with it long enough to get comfortable.

The linux section under http://www.devside.net can help you with some of it.

DeveloperSide.NET
Advanced PHP and MySQL Solutions for your Web Design and Development needs with Web.Developer Server Suite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: